Thursday, March 10, 2011

Assembly begins

It's time to start building this thing.  I got three of the six panels joined, starting with the smallest (the peak) and working my way down.

Production moved from my basement den to the main livingroom of the house.  I measured double the sail's longest seam to allow the full length in front and behind the sewing machine. It just barely fits...


The first seam.  This has little to no shaping.  A good way to start getting the feel for the process.


Double sided tape is essential, at least for my level of skill.  Much gratitude goes to the good folks at Sailrite.com, not only for the tape and other materials but also for a great collection of free videos available online.  They gave me the confidence that mere mortals can do this and showed me a good technique for taping.  Highly recommended.


Voila!  Rolling both ends gave me good control over the work as it fed through the machine.  I used tiny spring clips, simply because I had them handy.


Perfect? No. Pretty darn good? Methinks so.



Seam two.  This how far I got before things went awry.  I suspect the glue from the tape was gumming up the needle.


Eww.  This is the back side.  Most of the gather thread is from the top side, not the bobbin.  I was able to pick it all apart, smooth the holes somewhat, and clean off the needle before restarting.  The remainder went without a hitch.


The third seam.  Not we're beginning to get some shaping (the far end from this view).


Shaping seen from the other end.


That puckering is the amount of draft produced once the two edges come together.  This seam stitched up with no problem.  Somehow I forgot to shoot a pic, but I think you get th idea.

So that leaves me with half a sail.  Well, something less than half since all the reinforcements have to be done too.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment