Sunday, March 13, 2011

If Drunken Monkeys Sewed...

...it might look something like this:

For some reason, my sewing skills took a dive with my last two seams today.  Could be the longer length was too much for one person to guide smoothly.  Could be the machine was not happy.  Nonetheless, I've stitched together all the panels of the sail.  I haven't laid it out flat yet because we have some very soggy ground right now.  But as soon as I can, I will.


View from the leech looking forward.  This seam strikes right in the middle of the luff, which is where I need to generate the most shape.


View from the luff.  The pencil mark is 10mm from the edge, so you can get a feel for how much curve is being built in.


After taping, the wrinkles confirm that the sail is not flat.  Is it shaped enough?  Only time will tell.


Starting to get a little wacky.  There's another section similar to this, but most of the seam is fairly even.



This is IT!  The foot of the sail joins the rest.  I'm very pleased that Sailcut put this seam right at the tack.  Maybe it's 40mm off of the very point of the corner, but given all the corner reinforcement patches that are going to cover the corner, it's essentially a tack seam.


Again, the "broadseam" is about 20mm or so.


Not only did I have trouble keeping the seam spacing uniform, I also ran out of bobbin within about a meter of completing the seam.  Grrr.  Of course, these flaws all occur in the seams that are closest to the crew.  This couldn't have happened way up at the peak; that would have been too easy...

I'm happy with the result so far.  Again, I'm not shooting for perfection.  I just want something I can point to and say "I did this myself."  Sadly, the evidence is clear that I did.  No worries.

Next up will be corner patch reinforcements.  I haven't yet settled on a design for those and I think I'll mock them up with paper first to get a feel for different shapes.

Tchuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment